Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Ever had one of those days???

Wow, I could chalk this one up to being exhausted.  I could chalk it up to the day being cold and dreary.  I could say that I had a bunch of busy work around the house to do.  But then, that wouldn't be truthful of me.  Nope, I was just meandering mentally and physically today.  Not sure why, but boy was it hard to get on track with anything today.

Looking at being exhausted:

First I need to show you all my current garden beds to set the mood:


These are the 3 original beds I made up almost 10 years ago.  The nearest 4x4 bed is now a dedicated herb garden.  The next bed over has a plethora of veg planted, Kale, Swiss Chard, Celery, Beets, Spinach, and Lettuce.  And the 3rd bed, has Cauliflower, Broccoli, and the Trellis' are for the Peas.


This was the 2nd set of beds, I pulled some awful bushes out, and put in 3 4x4 beds, and a 2x4 Permanent home for Raspberries.  The bed right behind the Raspberries is holding Garlic planted last October.  Beds 3 and 4 behind the Garlic are needing to be tilled under again from the Winter cover crop I grew.  In May they will get Shelling Beans.


This was a problem corner for many years, nothing would grow here but weeds.  Then I had more paver blocks than I needed, and made a 3x11 bed out of the area.  I scraped it clear of weeds, mixed in 40 or 50 wheelbarrows of compost, and voila.  Now it's home to a whole mess of onions.

So, I had some beds, but found that I had a hard time rotating my veg as I should.  The only solution, was to make more beds...And I finally got around to that:


Enter two of four new beds I built this year.  The small one nearest in the photo is the Permanent Asparagus box.  I got a great deal on 2 year old Asparagus crowns, so they now rest under the soil there, waiting for next spring.  The furthest box is 4 x 8 and will hold the Water Melons, and Cantaloupe Melons I have sitting under the lights indoors now.  Later, I hope to be able to plant Butternut Squash and Pumpkins there.

Notice the nice soil in the two boxes.  Yesterday I picked up a yard and a half of it in my truck (just visible beyond the beds in the last photo.  I was shoveling, wheeling, and raking from 10:00 am until 4:30 pm yesterday.  Hence the exhausted.


How can I be exhausted, I still have two more beds to fill!  Lucky for me, they are near the street, and I can back the truck up and shovel right into the beds.  The Furthest bed will hold Pole beans (trellised on the street side West.) Peppers, squash, and cucumbers.  The near bed will house my tomatoes.  I can fit 10 plants into the 4 x 8 box (as I really don't worry about cross pollination) and not much else.  

So until I step up and get about 3 more yards of good garden soil, I can't be exhausted.  My Tomatoes need to get into the ground, they are seriously tired of their dollar store pots....

But that brings us to the cold and dreary.  Today the weather just couldn't make up it's mind.  Not cold, unless the wind blew, and boy did it blow.  Kept me from taking the tomatoes out for a walk to harden off.  It never really rained, just sprinkled off and on all day, until 5:30 or so, then the sun came out for 15 minutes :) only to darken again, and sprinkle away.  The Farmers Almanac says the average last frost date for our area (Zone 8a) in the Pacific NW is April 15th, just a few days away.  I think when I get the bed filled (the next somewhat sunny day) I will put out the 10 best tomatoes, use that fancy red mulch, cage them, and then wrap the cage with plastic around the sides.  Just to keep these winds from whipping them around.  That will probably happen about a week after that magical Avg. Last frost date. Just to be safe.

As for stuff around the house needing to be done, when doesn't it.  Dishes, vacuuming, laundry, dusting, cooking (which means doing dishes again...) so that can't be an excuse.

No, not sure what it was today, just felt off.  But I was still able to up-pot my peppers, watermelons, and  cantaloupe melons so the day wasn't a total loss.  Here's hoping tomorrow is better all around.

1 comment:

  1. Hey bro, today was more insanity for us as our weeks tend to be becoming with swimming, baseball, scouts, music and oh yeah, school thrown in to boot. If the weather holds, I hope to help shovel this time. Sorry again I wasn't available last time. Take care and rest up! Oh and your beds look awesome. Well done!

    ReplyDelete